Organizing your own event.
There are many different types of events, and each one can be as unique as you are! In general we want to do 3 things by having events around Dec. 17th.
You can organize a march, protest, sit-in or some other non-violent method of raising awareness. Simply doing some sort of public art piece around violence against sex workers on raising the public consciousness around sex work and the violence that they receive.
Honor the lives of sex workers on this day, either by yourself or as an event.
Organize a public memorial event in your town. Invite people to bring writings, stories, readings, thoughts, related news items, poems, performances, etc. Make a circle at the event. Take turns sharing. This will make for a wonderful memorial and be great for consciousness raising and outreach as well.
Specific ideas on how to do this:
- Bike rides
- Yoga classes
- Work shops
For Specific Tips on Organizing a Group Event, Check out our Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers Toolkit
Tara-Michelle Offers Ten Ways to Show Support for Dec 17th as an Individual:
- Organize a vigil/memorial/gathering in your town. Simply choose a place and time. Invite people to bring their stories, writings, thoughts, related news items, poems, lists of victims, performances, and memories. Take turns sharing.
- Organize or attend a candlelight vigil in a public place.
- Do something at home alone which has personal meaning, such as a memorial bath, or light a candle.
- Call a friend and discuss the topic.
- Send a donation to a group that helps sex workers stay safer. Some teach self-defense or host web sites that caution workers about bad Johns. Donate to Sex Worker Outreach Project.
- Listen to the music, watch the videos, and read the poems and texts on our website, Do let others know about any planned Dec. 17 events by listing them on our website!
- Spread the word about the Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers and the issues it raises; blog, email, send a press release, forward this text to others.
- Attend a Dec. 17th Day to End Violence event/action/memorial. Everyone is welcome.
- Organize a panel discussion about violence towards sex workers. Procure a community space and invite speakers like sex workers, police, and families of victims.
- Create your own way to participate. People have done celebrations, Xmas caroling, protests at jails, lobbying at City Halls, naked women reading whore writings, performance art, visual art projects, and other creative, fun and moving things.
All allies of SWOP, and organizations hosting an event are welcome to use all of our materials for the purpose of promoting awareness for sex worker rights.
Don’t forget to let us know about your event or resources!